Kudos to Disney’s Family Fun!!!
This recipe is fabulous!
I love Disney’s Family Fun magazine. It has so many great craft ideas, kid-friendly meal ideas, and much more. There website has even more including fun activity ideas, party ideas, and free printables.
1 pound lean ground beef or turkey
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/3 cup chopped red bell pepper
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
Cayenne pepper to taste
2 1/2 cups canned pink or red kidney beans, rinsed and well drained
For the filling:
– Brown the meat with the garlic and bell pepper in the oil in a large skillet over medium heat, breaking up the meat with your spoon as you stir.
– Add the tomatoes and seasonings and cook for 5 minutes or until the mixture has thickened slightly.
– Reduce the heat to low, add the drained beans, and cook for 5 more minutes, stirring frequently. Spoon the mixture into a 1 1/2-quart casserole or baking dish and let it cool while you prepare the crust.
For the pastry:
– Heat the oven to 400. Sift together the flour, cornmeal, and salt into a medium bowl.
– Cut in the butter until the mixture looks like, well, coarse meal. Add the water and toss the dough lightly with a fork until it begins to come together.
– Lightly gather it together some more, then press it into a disk. On a floured surface, roll it out until it’s about 1/4 inch thick and slightly larger than your casserole.
– Place the rolled-out dough on top of the casserole, as you would for a pie. Trim the edges, leaving a 1/2-inch overhang, turn them under, and flute.
– Cut large slits into the crust to let the steam escape. If you’re up to it, you can decorate the crust with any dough scraps.
– Bake for 30 minutes or until the crust is well browned. Serves 4.
This entry was posted in main entrees
. Bookmark the permalink